- This event has passed.
Universal Health Coverage Day
Dec 12, 2019
Universal Health Coverage Day, commemorated each 12 December, is the anniversary of the first unanimous United Nations resolution calling for countries to provide affordable, quality health care to every person, everywhere.
Universal health coverage has been included in the new Sustainable Development Goals adopted by the United Nations.
Universal Health Coverage (UHC) means everyone can access the quality health services they need without financial hardship.
WHO: All people, including the poorest and most vulnerable.
WHAT: Full range of essential health services, including prevention, treatment, hospital care and pain control.
HOW: Costs shared among entire population through pre- payment and risk-pooling, rather than shouldered by the sick. Access should be based on need and unrelated to ability to pay.
UHC is a means to promote the human right to health.
Countries of all income levels are pursuing policy reforms to achieve UHC.
- More than 100 low- and middle-income countries, home to almost 3/4 of the world’s population, have taken steps to deliver UHC.
- The emerging economies of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS)—representing almost half the world’s population—are all taking steps toward UHC.
- In December 2012, the United Nations passed a landmark resolution endorsing UHC.Since then, the World Bank Group and the World Health Organization (WHO) have identified UHC as a top priority for sustainable development.
Universal Health Coverage Day It’s time to build momentum toward 12 December to ensure that this year’s call to action—act with ambition—is heard around the world.
Three simple actions you can take right now:
- EXPLORE our new *interactive world map* of partner activities planned for 12.12.16, and add your activities here. We’re just a few events away from beating our 2015 record of 64 events—help us get there!
- JOIN the UHC Day 2016 Thunderclap to call for accelerated progress toward health for all.
- FOLLOW us on Twitter and Facebook for updates on UHC Day activities and materials, including top-notch content and events led by your fellow Coalition partners.
Stay tuned for the launch of more digital materials next week, and thank you for your continued commitment to health for all. We can’t wait to see what 12.12.16 will bring.