A quick review of where issues related to NCDs may be found in the National Department of Health’s (NDoH’s) strategic plan 2014/15- 2018/19.
What is missing?
- We might have been too quick and missed the National Health Commission. Can you find it? Please let us know if you do.
What is in it?
Page 13: NCDs burden of disease
Page 14: NDoH goal to prevent disease and reduce its burden, & promote health. Relate to National Development Plan goal 2030 ↓ prevalence of NCDs.
Page 19: Programme 2: NHI, planning & enablement
Develop and implement integrated monitoring & evaluation plan.
Sector-wide procurement very important for essential medicine and equipment access. EDL are revised on a 3 year cycle and available via book, web and cell phone application format available. The material is also peer reviewed. Medicines availability; a central chronic medicines dispensing and distribution network availability in order to improve access.
Page 24: Programme 3: HIV/AIDS, TB, Maternal & Child Health (includes child, youth and school Health sub-programme)
- HPV target by 2018/19 = >70% coverage.
- Strategic objective indicator cervical cancer screening 2013/14 baseline 55% coverage 2018/19 >70% coverage
Page 27: Primary health care (PHC) services (also includes district health services and communicable diseases.)
Health promotion subprogramme focus on implementing a mass mobilization strategy on healthy options.
NCDs subprogramme includes mental health focus points:
- ↓ NCDs risk factors
- ↑ health systems and services for the detection and control of NCDs
- ↑ service delivery platform for PHC focused eye care, oral health, care of elderly, rehabilitation, disability and mental health
- Mental health ↑ awareness of- & ↓ stigmatization by sectoral collaboration
- ↑ services to prevent disability by co-ordinated interdisciplinary services
- ↑ decentralised integrated PHC services at clinic, community and district hospital level.
Page 29 & 30: Indicators and targets (2018/19)
- NCDs % ↓ of obesity. Target: ↓ by 10% men to 21% and women to 55%
- No. people counselled & screened & for high blood pressure & raised blood glucose with 5 million people target. Baseline not available.
- No. people screened & treated for mental disorders. Target: 35% prevalent population
- No. districts implementing the framework and model for rehabilitation services. Target: 52 districts implementing (draft framework and model available 2013/14)
- Cataract surgery rate. Target: 1700 cataract surgeries per million uninsured population (increase from 1000 2013/14)
Page 30: Resource considerations. The “spending focus (for this period)… will be on health promotion and the prevention of NCDs such as diabetes and hypertension.”
Page 31: Risk management Risk: under-resourced District Health System with mitigation strategy to ring fence the funding for district management and service provision.
Download the strategic plan: SA DoH Strategic Plan 2014 to 2019