Thumbs up on national cancer control plan inclusivity
Thumbs up to the NCDs cluster of the National Department of Health (NDoH) for its responsiveness to stakeholder recommendations. The draft cancer plan, National Plan for the Prevention and Control of Cancer 2015 – 2020 (NCCP) is being reviewed by multisector – all of society stakeholder meeting early next month. Click here to review this draft.
Feedback from stakeholders on the 2014 a draft NCCP made it clear that more consultation was needed. The initial stakeholder meeting to its content (organisational structure) and process of development (planning process) in Pretoria on 6 February 2015.
The aims of the meeting include:
- Identifying priorities in cancer prevention and control;
- Setting goals and objectives;
- Setting strategies for intervention;
- Setting processes and timelines to achieve a final draft.
Professor Melvyn Freeman and the cluster team are to be congratulated on the transparent and inclusive step. The 1999 NCCP needs urgent revision to provide an integrated, comprehensive people-centered plan for South Africa. The new plan must take into account:
- changing demographic and epidemiological trends
- global and national targets
- the health and developmental agendas.
For more information contact Elmie Engelbrecht at [email protected]
Click here to download the revised draft outline for consideration.