WHO – World No Tobacco Day 2018 Awards – Call for Nominations
Every year, WHO recognizes individuals or organizations in each of the six Regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control. An award is given to each selected person or organization recognizing their outstanding contribution to tobacco control. There are two types of awards granted every year: the Certificate of appreciation and the DG Special Recognition Award.
The nominee must have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the policies and measures contained in the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and its guidelines, particularly in relation to the theme of World No Tobacco Day. Nominations for reasons based on the regular parliamentary or administrative work of nominees will not be considered.
Each nomination will need to provide the following information:
- Complete name of the nominee
- Title of the nominee, if a person
- Address of the nominee, including email or phone
- Language to be used on the correspondence with the nominee and on the certificate (English or French)
- Complete name of the nominator
- Title of the nominator, if a person
- Address of the nominator, including email or phone
- A detailed description of the reason for the nomination, including the dates of the actions, possible reasons include:
- The nomination can be for a particular action, or for a group of actions, or for the body of a nominee’s work in the area of tobacco control at any local, national, regional or international level.
- The nominee may have set a meritorious (or distinctive) example for others in the tobacco control movement.
- The nominee may have overcome a big obstacle in achieving the objective for which he or she is considered worthy of a World No Tobacco Day award.
- The nominee may have demonstrated outstanding leadership or commitment or been particularly innovative in his or her approach to tobacco control.
- The nominee may have brought particular resources or knowledge or expertise to bear on tobacco control.
- The nominee may have made an outstanding contribution to tobacco control as a crucial measure to rolling back noncommunicable diseases to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 3.
Please find attached the guidelines on the nomination and the form to be completed by the nominator.
We would be grateful if you could send the nominations by Friday, 9 March 2018.
The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2018 is: “Tobacco and heart disease”. The campaign will increase awareness on the link between tobacco and heart and other cardiovascular diseases, including stroke, which combined are the world’s leading causes of death.
Additional information on World No Tobacco Day 2018 are available at