Cancer of the cervix (CaCx) is the only NCDs indicator monitored in the District Health Barometer 2013-2014 due its historical focus on Millennium Development Goals.
- Cervical cancer (CaCx) is the 2nd most frequent cancer among SA women
- Most frequent cancer among women between 15-44 years
- 43 million women aged ≥15 years are at risk
- 7,735 women are diagnosed with CaCx every year
- 4, 248 die from CaCx.
- 21% of women in the general population are estimated to have cervical HPV infection at a given time
- Over 60% of invasive CaCx are attributed to HPVs 16 or 18.m
- HPV vaccination of girls before sexual activity is the best primary prevent
It is the nearly 20 million women who are at risk that need the CaCx screening and the ones below are only of women 30 and older. Only screening tests are considered… that is to find those who need further investigation.
- 1st place: KZN is the best performing province for the second year running.
- 2nd place: North West improved increased its performance by 13.1%
- 3rd place: Western Cape