Global NCDs Status Report 2014
A World Health Organization report on NCDs prevention and control (2014) that is framed around the nine voluntary global targets. The report provides data on the current situation, identifying bottlenecks as well as opportunities and priority actions for attaining the targets.
The 2010 baseline estimates on NCD mortality and risk factors are provided so that countries can report on progress, starting in 2015. In addition, the report also provides the latest available estimates on NCD mortality (2012) and risk factors, 2010-2012.
All ministries of health need to set national NCD targets and lead the development and implementation of policies and interventions to attain them. There is no single pathway to attain NCD targets that fits all countries, as they are at different points in their progress in the prevention and control of NCDs and at different levels of socioeconomic development. However all countries can benefit from the comprehensive response to attaining the voluntary global targets presented in this report.
Click here to download report
Slide presentations from the Health Systems Strengthening Kopano 17-18th November 2014
Introduction to ICDM for PHC NCDs service delivery including & patient centeredness – Dr Margo Uys
Introducing the concept of multisectoral collaboration for action and accountability using HIV/AIDS context. Application to NCDs – Dr Sue Goldstein
Human resource issues. Training training and mobilisation: focus on nurses, other professions and health care workers – Lindsay van der Linden and Razana Allie
Ring fencing Budgets – Prof Mel Freeman
The SA NCD Alliance and 100 stakeholders agreed to a short-term action plan. The main points of agreement are listed below but without suggesting which one is most important.
- Support the National NCDs Plan but to hold government accountable
- Collaborate to fight NCDs (within and across sectors) in the NCDs Multisectoral Working Group (nMWG)
- SA NCD Alliance to be the lead organisation in the fight against the NCDs
- Strengthen national NCDs research agenda and capacity
- Use the national civil society non-communcable disease report as a NCDs advocacy tool
- Unrelenting action to strengthen NCDs systems culminating in a stakeholder meeting in August 2014
Read the finer details and see the process that we used to come to this action plan NCDs PRIORITIES FOR ACTION may 2014 final